2.08.2011

Day 8: Naples

I know, I know. Only 4 months later. :) I'm not sure anyone even reads this anymore, but I'm going to go ahead and finish blogging this trip. Mostly because I was looking at the pictures today and saw some that I really liked. And I like to remember the trip. So here goes:

Since we took the overnight train to get to Naples and the conditions on the sleeper train weren't very conducive to sleeping, we were all very tired. We weren't able to check into our hotel yet because it was only like 8 am so instead we left our luggage with the concierge and set out to explore. We took the street right next to the hotel so we wouldn't get lost and came across this barber shop. The guys had been talking about getting a straight shave the whole time we had been in Italy but this was the first barber shop we had seen. It actually worked out perfectly because as we were sitting down I got a migraine (the only one the whole trip, thankfully) so I took a little nap while the boys all got pampered.

The barber was this cute little guy who talked the whole time. He even recommended where to get the best pizza. I'm sure if we are ever in Naples again Danny will make sure that we stop by here. I know Dad still wants Mom to cut his hair just like the barber did. :)
Waiting to get our seat at Sorbillo's to eat pizza. This pizzeria claims to have invented pizza so we were all looking forward to trying it out. By this point in the trip we were basically pizza connoisseurs. :)
And this pizza did not disappoint! We ordered 4 different pizzas (which I thought was too many, but was just right) and finished them off in no time. Now whenever I smell fresh basil it makes me think of this pizza. If you're ever in Naples make sure you try this place!

Naples is actually famous for their Nativity scenes and there is an entire street dedicated to just that. Since my mom decorates her Christmas tree with Nativities, we made a stop on this street. I have never in my life scene such detailed work. It was amazing!
The view from our hotel room. Since Naples has a little bit more crime then anywhere else we stayed we made sure that we got a nicer hotel that usual. It was right across the from the train station and close to everything we needed. And it was the nicest hotel we stayed in the whole trip. The worst part about Naples, was that the garbage men were on strike while we were there, so there were piles of stinky garbage everywhere! They had only been on strike for 3 days when we got there but it went on for like 3 months.
The last morning in Naples there was a seafood market on the street outside our hotel so we ventured in. I had a hard time managing the smell (gross!) but it was cool to see because a lot of the creatures were still alive.
Doing laundry! We only had to do it twice the entire trip, but the launderia in Florence was much nicer than this one.
The hotel served a breakfast buffet on the roof every morning. By far the best breakfast any of the hotels had to offer. And the view was amazing.

Naples was the one place that I was not looking forward to going because I had heard that a lot of people get robbed there, but I actually liked it and wouldn't mind going again. The shopping was great. :)

4 Comments:

Meggan Hayes said...

I still read, so there! And I don't mind that these pics are a bit after the fact, it's fun to be able to stretch the vacay out forever.

Meg said...

I still read too! I was actually going to send you a text today reminding you that you had a blog :) Love you!

Joanna said...

That would be such a fun trip to take.. I'll read your blog :)

Debbie said...

Glad you blogged again, I enjoy checking out the blogs and I think you are almost as behind as mine Thanks for sharing..