8.27.2008

Things I've learned about Potty Training



1. Pull-ups don't work! They are just like another diaper, only more expensive. And the little pictures that disappear when they get wet...those don't work either. What 2 year old cares whether the stupid pictures on their diaper are there or not?

2. A child is never going to tell you he's ready. If I waited until my child came to me and said, "Mommy, I'm ready to be potty trained", he would probably go to kindergarten with diapers on.

3. I don't think it really matters what age you train them. I've been told numerous times that if I do it too early then my child will have a traumatic experience and be scarred for life. I don't really think the age matters so much as attitude. My attitude.

4. It's not just about the child being ready, it's also about the parent being ready. If I'm not willing to be patient and TEACH my child then the whole training thing isn't going to work. That's why it's called "potty training." Because I am the trainer!

5. Every child is different! What worked for you might not work for me. That doesn't have anything to do with age, just personality.

6. Being naked is okay. At home. In my home. Never on any furniture. And only as a punishment. My child prefers to have his lower regions covered, so being able to wear underwear is a reward and one that he picked up on very quickly.

7. Positive reinforcement! Chocolate works great.

8. I like not buying diapers.

9. I much prefer to have my child's anatomy called by the proper terms. Not winkey, wee wee, pee pee, thingy...

10. Potty training involves more than just teaching my child to use a toilet. I also have to teach him how to pull his pants up and down, undo buttons, wipe, flush, turn on the sink and use adequate amounts of soap.

And last but not least:

11. My little boy is growing up so fast and looks totally adorable in briefs!

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite post of yours and I agree with every single part of your list! So many kids are learning to use the toilet as a requirement for kindergarten these days and I think it's sad. Parents have to commit!! I may not be the best mom but I brag loud and proud about having both my kids potty trained by age 2. It's not rocket science, people. Please!!!!

I'll say it again, parents have to commit. That's the key.

Camille said...

Hahaha... Remind me when I have a 2year old to come and read this post again. I loved it!

The Browers said...

See I have a hard time believing some of those things or I guess like you said everyone is different. I am going to wait until my child shows some interest in the potty. I don't want to make it seem like a chore when he is not at all interested in it. The other thing I have a hard time with is not EVERY parent is LUCKY enough to stay home and COMMIT to it full time. So it will take longer and it will be harder however I will not wait till he is going to kindergarten.
I am happy for you though that Wyatt is coming along nicely with it and I can't wait to be done with diapers (however when that time comes it will be close to having another one in diapers)and move on to the cute little boxer briefs! way too cute!

katy said...

Lets see if you still like teaching your child accurate names for private parts when he yells at the top of his lungs in the middle of the grocery, "Mom, Tayler just kicked my penis!" And on a side note, I'm sure glad you're potty training my child as well, she's done so well at your house. You rock, Bets!

Meggan Hayes said...

so true, so true...potty training is all about when the mom is ready...the child will learn whenever he is taught. And as long as the mom has a good attitude and lots of patience, there won't be any trauma!!